NEW: AP: 24 companies apply for slots licenses in Pa.
Two dozen suitors have applied for the 14 licenses that will be awarded by Pennsylvania to operate slot-machine gambling parlors, a state official said Friday.
Related Slots News:
- Companies make last dash to apply for Pa. slots licenses
- 24 Companies Seeking Slots Licenses in Pa.
- Property owners must apply to reap slots money
- Gambling Companies Apply For Pa. Slots Licenses
- 24 companies apply for slots licenses in Pa.
- Casino hopefuls line up
- Keys to Handicapping the NBA Playoffs
- Electronic bingo bill in Alabama Senate has no-bid clause
- A.C. PAVING WAY FOR SMALLER CASINOS
- Nemacolin studies new bid for slots at resort
- Thousands Missing Out on Slots Funded Property Tax Relief
- Atlantic City paving way for smaller casinos
Gambling history facts:
- As early as 1420, lotteries were used in Europe for public works. High-value commodities such as land and art were often sold through lotteries.
- Bingo as we know it today is a form of lottery and is a direct descendant of Lo Giuoco del Lotto d'Italia - the Italian National Lottery organized in 1530.
- French mathematicians Pierre de Fermat and Blaise Pascal explored the mathematics of gambling, leading to the formulation of Pascal's theory of probability in 1654.
- Blackjack originated in French casinos around the 1700's where it was called "vingt-et-un" (twenty-and-one) and has been in United States since the 1800's.