Casinos to remain open at least through Sunday afternoon
TRENTON — Atlantic City casinos will remain open at least through Sunday afternoon, and likely longer, despite a government shutdown initiated this morning by Gov. Jon S. Corzine. The question of whether casinos would be forced to close was scheduled to be heard in an appellate court this afternoon, but both the state and the casinos requested 24 hours to file supplemental briefs, said Winnie
Related Casino News:
- Courier News Online - Casinos remain open pending hearing
- NJ Casinos lose appeal to remain open
- Rank Group to remain listed for now
- RTG online casinos remain offline
- Casinos at Gulfstream remain closed
- Racetracks, casinos to stay open through holiday despite state shutdown
- Isle of Capri Race Track to Remain Closed
- Media Corp and Malta remain silent on Purple Lounge debacle
- Malta adamant gambling industry should remain a national competence
- Sports cars remain popular despite eco-debate
- Obstacles remain to moving casino from Phila. waterfront
- Official says Casino Niagara will remain open
Gambling history facts:
- The age of electronic games began in 1964 with the Nevada Electronic's solid state "21" machines. The most successful of these was the Dale Electronics' Poker-Matic, which could be found in most Nevada casinos.
- The second oldest casino hotel resort on the Las Vegas Strip was the Last Frontier and it opened in October of 1942. It had 105 guestrooms and the property was made to look like an old western town. The first casino hotel resort opened just 18 months earlier and was called El Rancho.
- Legal gambling operations in Washington reported $1.7 billion in net receipts in 2005: 61 percent was reported by tribal casinos, 10 percent came from the state lottery. 2 percent of responders in a February state survey said they placed bets online.
- In 1911, the state of California ruled that "draw" poker was a skill, and thus could not be banned under existing anti-gambling laws. However, "Stud" poker was still considered illegal at the time.