The People’s Business: Gambling trumps flowers, books, clothing
DES MOINES Iowans, their close friends, their weekend houseguests, their casual acquaintances and perhaps even their pets simply love to gamble.
Related Gambling News:
- Arlington ousted by Peoples
- Surveying the road to a casino in R.I.
- Pinoy Bingo Night swaps timeslot with Boy Over Flowers
- It’s High Noon on the Global Online Gambling Board
- ‘Stolen’ Ideas Big Business in Hollywood
- Rooney comes up trumps over gambling claims
- Heads up | Icahn is upping his bet on Trumps casinos
- Motley Fool cautiously optimistic on online gaming stocks
- Make the most out of late summer bloomers
- Lawmakers Want Video Gambling Apology
- Two-armed bandits
- Foreigners get jail terms for gambling
Gambling casinos history:
- 1946: Two famous landmarks open: Bugsy Siegel's Flamingo, and the Golden Nugget. Nevada levies its first gaming tax.
1949: Benny Binion sets up a high-stakes poker game at his Horseshoe casino between Nick "The Greek" Dandalos and Johnny Moss. It turns into an epic five-month poker match, laying the foundations for the World Series of Poker.
- Las Vegas in Nevada owes its success to the mobster Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegel who organized gaming and bookmaking operations for The Mob (the Mafia).
- Riverboat Gaming Has Captured 20% of the Casino Market Share. Mississippi now has more gambling square footage than Atlantic City.
- Dice games have existed in one form or another for over 2000 years and were originally played with dice fashioned from the knucklebones of sheep.