Former New Jersey trooper pleads guilty in gambling case with links to NHL
Former New Jersey State Trooper James Harney, left, pleads guilty to charges he participated in a hockey gambling ring, in Superior Court in Mount Holly, N.J., Thursday. Harney is charged with conspiracy, promoting gambling and official misconduct. Defense Attorney Craig Mitnick is at right.
Related Gambling News:
- Trooper pleads guilty in gambling case with links to NHL
- Disgraced trooper pleads guilty in betting ring
- Trooper pleads guilty in gambling case
- Former N.J. trooper pleads guilty in gambling case
- Trooper pleads guilty, will cooperate against Tocchet
- Briefs: Ex-state trooper pleads guilty in NHL gambling case
- Former state trooper pleads guilty to gambling charges.
- Suspension of trooper in gambling case upheld
- NJ Trooper Pleads Guilty in Gambling Case
- New Jersey trooper in court for gambling case
- NHL Notebook: N.J. trooper resigns in gambling scandal
- New Jersey trooper charged in gambling case to appear in court
Gambling casinos history:
- French mathematicians Pierre de Fermat and Blaise Pascal explored the mathematics of gambling, leading to the formulation of Pascal's theory of probability in 1654.
- Baccara (Italian) or baccarat (French) both translate to "zero" in English. The importance of this name is found in the tens and face cards, both sharing the zero value.
- 2000: MGM Grand Inc. stages the gaming industry's largest corporate buyout with its $6 million purchase of Mirage Resorts Inc.
2005: Las Vegas celebrates one illustrious century on May 15.
- Catholics were found to be more likely to gamble than Protestants and other religious groups. Catholics were also found to be less likely to disapprove of gambling than other religious groups.