Sector Snap: Casinos up as liquidity concerns ease
Casino operators’ stocks climbed Friday as credit and liquidity concerns eased and investors reacted to Wynn Resorts Ltd.’s upbeat third-quarter earnings results.
Related Casino News:
- Sector Snap: Analysts fear weak qtr for casinos
- Sector Snap: Casinos jump as MGM announces funding
- Moody’s: Gambling sector demand still soft in 2009
- Sector roundup: Casinos, airlines
- Sector Snap: Casinos cos. up, gaming measures eyed
- Sector Snap: Analysts cautious on casino industry
- Sector Snap: Las Vegas casinos
- Sector Snap: Casino Stocks Mixed
- Latest Jackpotjoy game in a snap
- Sector Snap: Casinos fall as MGM eyes capital
- Sector Snap: Casinos with Macau properties decline
- Sector Snap: Some casinos may beat views: analyst
Casino gambling facts:
- When traveling to Las Vegas be sure to check out some of the incredible scenery outside of the city. Lake Mead is about 45 minutes away from the city and is a beautiful place to cool off. When things get really hot, give Mount Charleston a try. It\'s approximately 30 degrees cooler. Red Rock Canyon is only a 30 drive. There is also the stunning Valley of Fire which is 1 hour away from Las Vegas.
- Blackjack originated in French casinos around the 1700's where it was called "vingt-et-un" (twenty-and-one) and has been in United States since the 1800's.
- 1946: Two famous landmarks open: Bugsy Siegel's Flamingo, and the Golden Nugget. Nevada levies its first gaming tax.
1949: Benny Binion sets up a high-stakes poker game at his Horseshoe casino between Nick "The Greek" Dandalos and Johnny Moss. It turns into an epic five-month poker match, laying the foundations for the World Series of Poker.
- The word Casino originally meant a public hall for music and dancing. By the second half of the 19th century, the term essentially meant a collection of gaming or gambling rooms. The classic example of a casino, is the casino at Monte-Carlo, which was opened in 1861.