Bethlehem officials say city ready for good, bad Sands Casino Resort will bring
Express-Times Photo | KELBY ANDERKOSands Casino Resort Bethlehem is opening this week. Is the Lehigh Valley ready for it? AP Photo | CAROLYN KASTERSlot machines and electronic games fill the floor of Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem.”So many other communities that…
Related Casino News:
- Casino company asks Bethlehem to explicitly OK gambling at site
- Bethlehem planners approve casinos
- Bethlehem Twp. to regulate gambling, just in case
- Panel favors creating zone for slots, and protecting it
- Planners aim to prevent ’sin city’ Bethlehem to study zoning changes for area near proposed casino.
- Bethlehem Sands’ plans to add slots this fall not a sure bet
- Casino forges hope for Bethlehem, Pa., worries Atlantic City
- Get Ready For Next Game By Studying Last Game
- From steel to slots: Las Vegas Sands opens casino Friday at historic Bethlehem Steel mill
- Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem Set to Officially Open its Doors on May 22
- Gambling and the Common Good
- Casino unanimously OKd for licensing
Interesting gambling facts:
- In 1857, Prince Charles III of Monaco decided to introduce gambling to his Mediterranean principality to boost its finances.
- 1993: Steve Wynn buys the Dune Hotel, then implodes it to make way for the Bellagio. The new MGM Grand is completed, once again becoming the world's largest hotel. On December 31, Barbra Streisand stars in the inaugural concert at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.
- 1951: On September 4, Frank Sinatra makes his Vegas debut, performing in the Crystal Room at the Desert Inn.
1959: Wayne Newton performs in Vegas for the first time, despite the fact that he is still too young to enter a casino.
- Many casinos in Nevada were financed by mobsters. Most notable perhaps was Las Vegas' Flamingo which was opened in 1947 by Bugsy Siegel.