Minister warns of tanking threat to gambling
Proof that AFL teams ‘’tanking'’ - deliberately setting out to lose - could have dramatic consequences, minister responsible for maintaining integrity of gambling on sport in Victoria warns.
Related Gambling News:
- Gambling poses threat to London Games — Minister
- Former minister highlights gaming tax threat to Gibraltar economy
- South African minister warns on internet gambling
- Political aide warns against online gambling
- Casino expansion plan a threat to businesses, professor warns
- Antigua Warns of U.S. Gambling Crackdown
- South African government warns on illegal gambling
- Antiqua warns a U.S. crackdown on Internet gambling could further strain relations
- Dutch threats
- Gambling threatens national security, new book warns
- Chinese threat list
- Casinos warn Net a threat to betting biz
Interesting gambling information:
- The first legal lottery in the twentieth century was the New Hampshire Sweepstakes which began on March 12, 1964. Currently 37 states and the District of Columbia operate lotteries.
- Catholics were found to be more likely to gamble than Protestants and other religious groups. Catholics were also found to be less likely to disapprove of gambling than other religious groups.
- 1994: On New Year's Day Frank Sinatra gives his last Las Vegas performance at the MGM Grand.
1998: Opening of the Bellagio. With 3,026 rooms it is the largest hotel in the world, and also the most expensive - it cost $1.7 billion to build.
- The Gold Rush brought a huge increase in the amount and types of gambling to California. San Francisco replaced New Orleans as the center for gambling in the United States.