N.J. groups protest tax breaks for Atlantic City casinos under construction
Courtesy of Revel EntertainmentA rendering of the new casino being built by Revel Entertainment. JERSEY CITY Two disparate groups are trying to halt a state tax incentive for a casino under construction in Atlantic City. The conservative Americans for…
Related Casino News:
- Groups Work Together To Protest Casino
- Immigrant protest brings uncertainty for casinos, workers
- Bikie groups plan election day poker run
- Motorcade protest of proposed Palmer casino
- NGOs protest against casinos in Goa
- Union, conservatives protest NJ casino tax break
- Fake money dumped outside Sky City Casino in gambling protest
- Poker partisans up ante with a protest
- Church groups wage fight vs John Hay casino
- Casinos Push Petition, Not Protest
- Sky City subject of gambling protest
- Opponents of casino secrecy mobilizing
Gambling history facts:
- Playing cards are believed to have been invented in China and/or India sometime around 900 A.D. The Chinese are thought to have originated card games when they began shuffling paper money (another Chinese invention) into various combinations.
- The most popular forms of illegal games are "numbers", which is essentially a lottery, and betting with bookies, typically sports betting.
- Video Poker machines were introduced in the 1970s, when an oil embargo had a negative impact on Vegas revenues. The machines were popular enough to spark a recovery in casino business.
- The Gold Rush brought a huge increase in the amount and types of gambling to California. San Francisco replaced New Orleans as the center for gambling in the United States.