Corruption, Haiti and poker were among South Florida’s top stories in 2010
This year brought its own slate of stories. They were quirky, tragic, heartwarming or ploddingly bureaucratic.
Related Poker News:
- Online Poker: DoylesRoom Celebrity Tournament For Haiti
- The Calvin Ayre Foundation’s $1,000,000 Match For Haiti
- Calvin Ayre Foundation Update
- Play for a Good Cause on Help for Haiti Poker Tournament at CrazyPoker.co.uk
- TitanPoker.com Will Stage Special Tournaments to Aid Victims of Haiti Earthquake
- Poker Players Donate $1.5 Million to Haiti Relief Efforts
- Morning headlines: Chrissy Steltz face surgery, Oregon’s rich, zoo history, stoves for Haiti, casinos
- Blue Square bet league clubs asked for info in corruption enquiries
- Creditors say ‘no way’ gambling ship sails to Haiti
- 2 south suburban men charged in offshore betting ring
- Corruption in sport – ESSA releases latest stats
- CalvinAyre.com Launch Party Live Online
Casino gambling facts:
- 1926: Las Vegas gets a regular air service. Western Air Express flies between Las Vegas and Salt Lake City. The airfield later becomes the site for the famous Sahara and Hilton hotels.
1931: Gambling is legalized in Nevada on March 19. Construction begins on the long awaited Hoover Dam.
- 1993: Steve Wynn buys the Dune Hotel, then implodes it to make way for the Bellagio. The new MGM Grand is completed, once again becoming the world's largest hotel. On December 31, Barbra Streisand stars in the inaugural concert at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.
- 1994: On New Year's Day Frank Sinatra gives his last Las Vegas performance at the MGM Grand.
1998: Opening of the Bellagio. With 3,026 rooms it is the largest hotel in the world, and also the most expensive - it cost $1.7 billion to build.
- 1973: The MGM Grand opens on the Strip, becoming the world's largest hotel.
1989: One of Vegas's most extravag-ant hotels opens. Steve Wynn's Mirage resort features a man-made volcano and over 3,000 rooms. Siegfried and Roy sign a $57 million, five-year contract to provide entertainment at the hotel.