Hometownstations.com-WLIO- Lima, OH News Weather SportsMajor sports betting ring busted in NYC
NEW YORK (AP) - Authorities in New York City have busted a major online sports betting ring, arresting 28 people in three states and seizing $5.7 million in assets.
Related Sports Betting News:
- Casino opponents show up in droves, council approves agreement
- Hometownstations.com-WLIO- Lima, OH News Weather SportsCleveland gets first roll of casino dice in Ohio
- Hometownstations.com-WLIO- Lima, OH News Weather SportsMonopoly lost: Atlantic City’s rise and fall
- Casinos, T-shirts, chasing rumors and tattoos
- Hometownstations.com-WLIO- Lima, OH News Weather SportsIndian casinos struggle to get out from under debt
- Hometownstations.com-WLIO- Lima, OH News Weather Sports3 firms want to build new, smaller casinos in AC
- Hometownstations.com-WLIO- Lima, OH News Weather SportsPa. cements status as No. 2 gambling market in US
- Poll Shows Support for Ohio Tribal Casino
- Clergy see support from elected officials on casino issue
- New name for The Weather Lottery plc
- Weather Lottery moves towards online betting
- The Weather Lottery acquires payment processor
Gambling casinos history:
- French mathematicians Pierre de Fermat and Blaise Pascal explored the mathematics of gambling, leading to the formulation of Pascal's theory of probability in 1654.
- 1941: The Strip gets its first luxury hotel. El Rancho Vegas sets the trend for many of the themed resorts that sprout along the Strip in later years.
1942: The first wedding chapel, the Little Church of the West, opens on the Strip in the Last Frontier Hotel.
- Blackjack originated in French casinos around the 1700's where it was called "vingt-et-un" (twenty-and-one) and has been in United States since the 1800's.
- In 1911 US legislation prohibited stud poker but ruled that draw poker was a game of skill and therefore was not illegal.