Editorial: Should we place bets on online gambling?
California legislators have debated the merits of Internet gambling for three years now. Despite tons of money spent on lobbying, campaign contributions and on public relations, those debates haven’t gone anywhere. Sadly, this year may be different.
Related Gambling News:
- I AM PLAYR users can place virtual bets on real events
- U.S. editorial excerpts -7-+
- Place your bets: ALC may be eyeing online sports gambling
- Editorial: Supporting law, not gambling
- Literally Millions of Americans Use Online Sports Book Web Sites to Place Bets on Their Favorite Sports Teams Every Day
- Chinese football fans going online to place their World Cup bets
- Gamblers Crowd Casinos to Place Last Bets
- PLACE YOUR BETS: Iowa lawmakers consider the odds of legalizing sports betting
- Editorial: Hedge bets on Fla. casinos
- Legalised online gaming in the USA worth billions
- Groundhog Day Odds at the Online Casino at online casino news and casinos update
- A Legal Alternative To Online Gambling
Interesting gambling information:
- The name of the game "Poker" likely descended from the French poque, which descended from the German pochen ("to knock"), but it is not clear whether the games named by those terms were the real origins of poker.
- The El Rancho Casino & Hotel in Las Vegas was known for a few firsts. It was the first casino/resort on the Strip opening in 1941 with 63 guestrooms. It was also the first to offer a buffet. The cost of the buffet was only $1.00! The El Rancho burned down in 1960 and fortunately no one was hurt.
- A nationwide survey by the U.S. Travel Industry Association found that 38% of all U.S. residents have been to Las Vegas in their lifetime. The average length of visitors' stay in Las Vegas was almost 4 days (3.7).
- Legal gambling operations in Washington reported $1.7 billion in net receipts in 2005: 61 percent was reported by tribal casinos, 10 percent came from the state lottery. 2 percent of responders in a February state survey said they placed bets online.