Wampanoags plan Taunton casino, subject to vote
The Mashpee Wampanoag tribe has announced that it has entered into an option to buy land in Taunton on which it intends to build a resort casino.
Related Casino News:
- Wampanoags look at Taunton as possible casino site
- Taunton sites eyed for possible casino
- Tribe puts its cards on the table
- Wampanoags looking over possible sites for a casino
- Mashpee Wampanoags Set To Close On Land Deal For Casino
- Mashpee Wampanoag tribe plans $500 million Taunton casino with hotels and water park
- Jeremy Browne’s bingo tax campaign
- Wampanoags Get Federal Recognition, Casino Next?
- Seniors eager to meet with Sen. Kennedy
- Patrick Aides, Wampanoags Hold Casino Huddle
- Steve Young: New GOP Healthcare Talking Points Leaked: Obama Plan Could Mean End To Bingo
- Column: Gambling is the sad choice of those out of better ideas
Gambling history facts:
- Charles Fey invented the first slot machine way back in 1895. He went on to perfect his initial innovation in 1907, when he teamed with Mills Novelty Company who manufactured the "Mills Liberty Bell".
- The term "turned the tables" is actually a chess term coming from the mid 1600's. When a player was losing, they would physically turn the chess table to assume the winning side of the table.
- Up to the 1960s, Nevada was plagued by teamster financing, hidden ownership, employment of individuals of questionable character and background, and the clear links to organized crime.
- Catholics were found to be more likely to gamble than Protestants and other religious groups. Catholics were also found to be less likely to disapprove of gambling than other religious groups.