Gambling racket busted in China, 800 held
Beijing, March 31 (IANS) Over 800 people have been arrested and 115 gambling venues shut down in a cross-provincial police operation in China, the government said.
Related Gambling News:
- Betting racket busted in US, 5 NRIs held
- Gambling racket busted, 14 held
- Gambling and betting rackets busted, 149 held in Punjab
- Major online football betting ring busted in China
- Gambling racket busted, three indicted
- Genovese informant arrested for running gambling racket
- Google Joins Forces with China Mobile
- Overseas Gambling Popular Amongst Chinese
- China busts online football gambling rings
- Gambling crackdown activities last year prove fruitful
- Eastday-North China police smashes gambling gang, seizing 91
- Gambling operation busted in west Charlotte
Interesting gambling information:
- In Paris, legislation prohibiting playing cards was passed in 1377, and in Italy, playing cards and dice were burned.
- By the 18th and 19th centuries a dice game called Hazard had become popular in England and was played by the aristocracy in private gambling houses.
- The Gold Rush brought a huge increase in the amount and types of gambling to California. San Francisco replaced New Orleans as the center for gambling in the United States.
- 1926: Las Vegas gets a regular air service. Western Air Express flies between Las Vegas and Salt Lake City. The airfield later becomes the site for the famous Sahara and Hilton hotels.
1931: Gambling is legalized in Nevada on March 19. Construction begins on the long awaited Hoover Dam.